Friday, December 29, 2006

Development Administration

My last one month as Block Development Administration at Falakata in Jalpaiguri district has been eventful. Since I knew from the start that mine is going to be a short stint in the block keeping in view the impending Joint Induction Programme of IAS and WBCS (Ex) probationers at Administrative Training Institute at Kolkata, so I was determined to make the most of my stay in the block, trying to learn and gain as much as possible.
My day usually started at 9 a.m. in the morning and ended at 6 p.m. in the evening on a routine day but at least on ten occasions, I got back home as late as between 8-9 p.m. in the evening. Usually each of my day used to be packed and if it was not so, I made it packed as I was enjoying handling independent charge all on my own. My routine work involved meeting people and representatives of different organizations or agencies, handling usual office files, perusing and marking off daily mail to different staff members, writing and replying to mails, discussing and deliberating different official matters, approving and signing cheques, attending meetings, attesting so many certificates and other such documents of the members of the public and going for certain visits here and there.
Among the many things I did I would like to mention a few things here. During my short stint in the block, I was told about many irregularities at the Modified Ration Dealer shops in my jurisdiction. So, I started conducting raid and, indeed, detected some irregularities. I found massive gaps between the stock allotted, stock issued and stock available at these fair price shops and I immediately recommended strong action against these people. Though, I persisted with my surprise visits till the last day I was there in the block, but after initial raids and disciplinary action, I stopped finding these irregularities. People were visibly happy and I started getting anonymous calls against the evil-doers and I followed up also on all of them. People knew that I am here only for a month, still they wanted me to see things myself rather than giving the responsibility to my officers or the Joint BDO as they knew that nothing would come out of it. And I myself found that whenever I sent my officers, nothing could be detected but whenever I something always came out in many occasions. I also got to know about Food & Supply Inspector harbouring brokers at the Food and Supply Office is located in the vicinity of the office of the BDO. But despite issuance of a show-cause to the Inspector, Food & Supply Office, Falakata, I discovered an hour later that two persons were present there in the Food & Supply Office, Falakata and transacting normal business of the Office. These two persons accepted that they have been ‘helping the Office staff’ with the normal office work as per the verbal consent of the Inspector, Food & Supply Office, Falakata for months together.
As told to me by members of the public, these people act as brokers and extract money from people to do/speed up their work. The Inspector, Food & Supply, who came to his Office quite late at 11.30 a.m which I am told is the usual practice, accepted that he had asked only Mr. Manik Roy to help him with the office work on that day only because of the shortage of staff in the office and in turn he gives him tiffin for the assistance provided. The unauthorized presence of these people and their alleged activities as go-between among the people has been objected to by the people. Inspector, Food & Supply Office, Falakata has never let either the Office of the Sub-Divisional Controller of Food & Supply or my Office known about the shortage of staff, which reflects negatively on his intentions. Moreover, no one provides one’s services without anything in return. Since nothing is paid to these unauthorized people, it is anybody’s guess as to why they continue to provide services. Even though Mr. Hem Chhetri, Inspector, Food & Supply Office, Falakata has promised that these people would not be allowed in the office premises in future, I recommended strong disciplinary action to be initiated against him to the authorities.
Then I found that the Bhutanese currency was in wise circulation in my block and after a communication from my superior authorities to take necessary action, I along with my staff members tried to create awareness in the jurisdiction of the Falakata block and even gave deadline to the people in the area to stop accepting Bhutanese currency, but we received representation from the local people including businessmen and small entrepreneurs arguing that we need to ban the use of Bhutanese currency as local tenders in the entire Alipurduar subdivision failing which the local economy would be negatively affected.
Notwithstanding its low exchange value vis-à-vis Indian currency, people, unaware of the same, accept Bhutanese currency on par with the Indian currency thereby causing loss to our economy. Again, a racket is said to be operating in the area who purchase Bhutanese currency cheaply because of its low exchange rate, release the same in the local markets getting equivalent Indian currency in return and making huge profits in the process. I also recommended opening of some exchange counters in this district to counter the menace of Bhutanese currency as Bhutanese currency is in circulation in many of the blocks in this district because of the Bhutanese people coming here to do business and to do shopping. In this regard, I recommended to the authorities to convene a meeting of all the BDOs and SDPO including other concerned people and organizations.
My Block Medical Officer of Health told me about the shortage of funds for purchasing certain basic equipment for the hospitals and since we did not have any such allotment whereby to help the local rural hospital, I came out of a solution. I told my sub-assistant engineers to request the contractor’s association, whose members earn a lot doing different government contracts, to donate some amount to the local hospital on behalf of their organization and they did indeed donated a sum or Rs. 15000/- which was enough to meet the need of the rural hospital in Falakata. One local NGO had organized a Blood Donation Camp in the block on the eve of some occasion. I not only attended the camp and other activities but also was the first to donate my blood, which was quite appreciated by the people.
Then, I got to know about illegal running of some video halls in my block as well as sale of pirated compact discs and cassettes. In my surprise raids I was able seize the equipment of these illegal video halls as well as seized and destroyed many of such pirated cassettes and compact discs. I was also told about many of authorized video halls showing obscene and recently released movies but I could not take any action owing to dearth of time, as there is always greater pressure of work for implementation of developmental schemes. I had many meetings with the members of the Panchayat Samity and different Prodhans of the Gram Panchayats of my block over many issues relating to implementation of various schemes including the problems faced by them. In many cases, I myself went to the villages to motivate people and meet members of the Gram Panchayats and other people involved with implementation of various schemes. I also attended many developmental meetings called by the authorities including the Sub-Divisional Officer and the District Magistrate.
On the pen-ultimate day of my block tenure, there opened a National Rehabilitation Centre for Wild Life in by block when many ministers and central government officials arrived. My role in this project was only towards the immediate sanction of a scheme, in consultation with the Sabhapati of the Panchayat Samity, to get the approach road to this place repaired at a short notice.
I also hosted some six probationers from Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration who came for their village visit to my block. The Director of the Academy also visited them. It was I who made arrangements for their stay and other things.
After I joined as Block Development Officer of the Falakata block in the district of Jalpaiguri on 13th October, 2003, I was entrusted with lots of responsibility including that of Drawing and Disbursing Officer. Generally, it is a tendency among the wily of the staff members to cozy up to the new Boss by being nice to him/her in various ways and after such people are convinced of their proximity with the new Boss, they try to get all such bills passed which could not have been passed or would have been passed after much vetting, more so because the new entrant to the office is still a novice who can be easily duped into approving and signing such bills. I also encountered such people but succeeded in yielding to my inexperience.
In one such instance, the Block Relief Officer (BRO) gave me a proposal for House-building Grant for flood victims for approval and recommendation to the District Magistrate. But since I was already aware of the pilferage of such funds meant for flood victims, I entrusted my Joint BDO to submit a report within two days on the estimates proposed. The Joint BDO submitted a report in time wherein he noted glaring discrepancies in the estimates as well as the inability of the BRO to produce the documents asked for. I further instructed the Joint BDO to seek a fresh report regarding Gram Panchayats wherefor the estimates appear to be inflated so as to facilitate a comparative study later. I also asked him to for a new Committee if required while conforming the concerned Government Order regarding the constitution of such Committee. The Joint BDO, however, opined that constitution of a new Committee would not be advisable keeping in view the time and energy it may require. He sought a fresh report from BRO himself who, in turn, requested for a time period of ten days to submit the same.
In the meanwhile, I also had been interacting and talking with the BRO. I asked him as to why did he need so much time to which he could not reply satisfactorily. I asked him if he had prepared the estimates, he must be having the list of the affected families (beneficiaries) who would be benefiting as a result of the passage of such proposal. Again, I asked him if the estimates were approved by the Relief Committee where is the approval order with estimates for respective Gram Panchayats but here also BRO was unable to produce anything. At the end of it, he submitted a fresh estimate which was 61 thousand rupees less than the original proposal as could be found out from the copied of proposals enclosed. Still, I have not approved the proposal and have asked to be presented before the Relief Committee meeting with full quorum for final presentation where some of these estimates could not be passed. Though not a full-fledged inquiry but through some precautions, I was able to save some government money. During my tenure there was also a vigilance inquiry against some of the staff members and I extended all the help possible to the inquiring officers.
I could also successfully oversee the organization of Kali Puja in my block which is a big event in this part of the country. When I was informed by some people about the practice of gambling on this occasion, I myself patrolled the suspected area but nothing could be found. One decision I took which was not liked by my superiors and that was the one day extension given to puja organizers. Since it rained for three continuous days during puja, people could not come out of their houses to enjoy the event and see the puja pendals. Since, there are not many sources of entertainment available to people here, so when they came to me for one day extension for the puja, I could not deny them. But since I was not aware of the practice here, so after verbal permission of my SDO, I gave them a one day permission. But I was later told my DM and ADM (G) that I should not have done it as available rules do not allow such extension. What I could not figure out as to what is the problem if people want to celebrate for one more day after they have worked and spent so much on the organization and if it was so forbidden, then why did the SDO permit me. Whatever may be the case, I learnt at my own cost that you should not take any oral advice or, at least, consult three-four people before finally deciding about an unknown subject.
During my initial days in the block, I got a confidential order from the SDO asking me to seize the cable equipment of the local cable service provider as had not only been providing services without any authorization but had also not been paying any taxes. When I along with the police force went to seize the said equipment, I got to know that he is the only cable service provider and if his equipment is seized then people in my block won’t be able to get cable service. So, I, on my own discretion, gave him a time of a fortnight to get everything regularized and pay up all the taxes which he did. This act of mine was also very appreciated by the people who were spared de-cabled moments as well as the erring cable service provider who showed all his willingness to do as asked.
I also oversaw the rationalization of polling stations and many other preparations relating to elections including revision of electoral rolls.
The biggest event during my block stint was the massacre of 19 people in one of the tea gardens located in my block. When informed about the incident, I rushed to the spot along with two medical teams and some relief materials. Though all this was not of much help as situation was something different. The District Magistrate entrusted me with the magisterial inquiry and I successfully conducted the inquiry and submitted a detailed report, which was very much appreciated by the SDO and the DM.
The institution of panchayati raj and its functionaries at different levels were a great help and it was quite enlightening working with these people. During my stay I also recommended initiation of many new proposals including construction of some dilapidates bridges, roads as well gave many suggestions towards the improvement of general administration and implementation of schemes.

3 comments:

rumeli said...

Sir,
1st i want to apprisiate your honesty. My birth place, and schooling from Falakata. So i m glad to know what u have done.
You proved it ,still there is also good people in our administration.
Best of luck

santosh nimbalkar said...

Great to read this sir!!!!!

R.Vimala said...

Great sir, and it is a wonderful documentation, which will be of immense use to probationers, thank you sir !